Wednesday 18 November 2015

A Declassified Survival Guide

1.) Getting lost 
- It's going to happen. Many times will you walk to the south-end of campus and realise your lesson is at the other. But, trust me, tutors and year 13's are happy to help. So if you really have no idea where you're going, just ask. 

2.) Making friends 
- A lot of you will be coming from schools with a few of existing friends, but a lot of you will also be coming to college alone. You'll be surprised how quickly and easily friends are made both in and out of lessons. My advice; just start talking. Yes, there will be plenty of awkward conversation starters such as; 'Wow, it's cold today' and 'I have no idea what's happening'. But everyone's in the same boat and soon you will begin to wallow in the awkwardness you share with one another. 

3.) Food 
- DON'T BUY LUNCH EVERY DAY. You're officially a student. That means you're poor. Make your own lunch, goddammit. Sure, an odd trip to MacDonalds every now-and-again is fine, but it gets boring after a while, not to mention expensive. But, soon, Home Bargains will become your best friend. (It's cheaper than college for stuff like snacks and drinks. Don't tell them I said that. I'm a journalist, they already don't like me.) Which brings me on to: 

4.) Money 
- I'm going to be straight with you here, get a job. Seriously, you're in college, which means you've got to start growing up, sadly. Make a CV, print it off at college FOR FREE and hand them in anywhere. No time to be picky, I must've handed in 11 before I got any feedback, but you've got to keep going. I interviewed for a job at a hairdressers- and I'm an English student. But money is money. 

5.) The jump (I swear that's the name of a TV show)*
the-jump-series-2-louie-075.jpg-  The jump from high school to college is huge. The work is harder, the environment is 'free-er' and the students are 'mature-er'... I need to stop. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, don't take advantage of this. You may feel like the staff is more 'lax' when it comes to attendance (etc) with the lack of a bell and the fact that not everyone has a lesson at the same time or whatever. You may think 'How the hell are they supposed to know?' Oh god, do they know. They'll be on you like flies on a cow's backside. And soon you'll begin to wonder if they are actually tutors and not some special sector of the SAS. They know where you are. And don't delude yourself even for a second if you think your friends won't rat you out - because they will. They're not going to sit in a lesson while you're off Starbucks-ing it up in the common room. If they're going down, they'll take you down with them. 
*(It is the name of a TV show)
 R.

No comments:

Post a Comment