Wednesday 9 March 2016

My Top 5 Beatles Albums: In Memory Of Sir George Martin

Very sadly, I just heard the news about the legend that was, still is, George Martin. If you don't know who this great man was, Google him, because the music he created and produced provided the soundtrack to my childhood. I've had plenty of people say to me, especially when I used to turn up to high school in Beatles band tees 'How do you know the Beatles? You're not old enough. Fine, if you're 'such a fan', what's you favorite song?' Which amazed me because the Beatles are, and always will be, ageless, and I was practically drip-fed their music on one side by my mum and drip-fed Pink Floyd on the other by my dad. Apparently having a cultured childhood makes you an 'indie hipster'.


So it's safe to say, he will be missed. And I couldn't think of any other personal tribute than my top 5 Beatles albums (because otherwise, I would've spent pages talking about myself, and that's not what this is about.) This is about remembering a legacy. A legacy that was pretty damn difficult to narrow down into 5 records, but here we go: *in no particular order*

(Before I start, let me just say, I'm not going to pretend like I know what I'm on about - music journalism isn't particularly one of my strengths. Don't read it if you don't want to, as long as I get at least 1 person into their music, I've done what was intended.)

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

You could say this is one of the Beatles' most halcyon and tranquil albums, with tracks like 'Within Without You' and the infamous 'Lucy In The Sky with Diamonds' providing that beloved 'trippy' essence that one would associate with a Beatles record. The soft, sentimental and often nostalgic lyrics provide the soundtrack to most of my baths, and the album is a nice 'time-out' away from their hard-hitting 'anthems' and 60's and 70's rock 'n' roll tracks.

Favourite track: She's Leaving Home









Rock 'N' Roll Music Vol 2 (1976)

Speaking of 60's and 70's rock 'n' roll, this is definitely one of their 'liveliest' records. (I need to stop putting everything 'inverted commas', it's annoying me, so god knows how you're 'feeling' about it.) Anyway, this is probably my favourite compilation of tracks, from everything with the order and individual tempos of each track which makes them feel like they literally flow into one-another in a beautifully shambolic way. (like I said, music journalism, not one of my strong points). This is the sort of music that makes me wish I could pay to go to a 60's club for a night and just feel the atmosphere the record creates. That, and I'd get to wear a floral pants-suit and eat creme-caramel.

Favourite track: Revolution





Abbey Road (1969)


Possibly the most well-known Beatles album, or 'the one that Primark puts on their £10 t-shirts'. But it's famous for a reason. The lyrics on this record are easily some of their best and possibly some of the most well-crafted lyric on any album ever, never mind one of their own. Side two of this record is just unfathomably good, with the ending track 'Carry That Weight' finishing the album with such striking and literal weight, it's hard to deny The Beatles their label of 'world's greatest band', and Sir George Martin of 'world's greatest producer'. I've just reinvested in the brand-spanking all shiny and new vinyl and the sound is absolutely incredible, it's sacrilege to listen to this record with any less.

Favourite track: Carry That Weight 


Love (2006)

Yes, yes, it's not an 'original' compilation, but this is the best compilation of remixes and just out-n-out 'bangers' (god, I hate myself) that their modern label has produced.This is always on my long-drive survival kit, you can't beat chanting out some 'Hey Jude' on your way down the M1. But the record is just a vibrant, lovely mixture of all things amazing about the Beatles, with little bits of every mood and emotion they've ever made anybody feel. It's the sort of record I'd suggest as a warm-up if you're thinking of getting into their music, the tracks that you will have most likely heard of. But it's also great for someone who's already deeply into their music, as it enables you to really appreciate the amazing concoction of (here it comes again) 'bangers'.

Favourite track: Lady Madonna (Love Remix)


Yellow Submarine

This. This album. This album is all that I love and ever will. Okay, a bit dramatic, but this was the soundtrack to my childhood. I know I've said that multiple times in this post, but I had the film on VHS, the album on cassette, CD and the book on iBooks (it moves and everything). I can quote every line from every scene from the film, and every lyric from every verse. I've perfected my Chief Blue Meanie impression to a T and every time I that glorious and beautiful artwork, I shed a small tear of nostalgia. The music and lyrics just sum up every essence of childhood joy and whimsy the band ever possessed, and every ounce of golden legacy the great George Martin left behind for past and future generations. 

Favourite track: Only A Northern Song





Thanks very much for reading, and rest in peace to the legend, Sir George Martin.

(January 3, 1926 - March 8, 2016)
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment