Wednesday 26 October 2016

1980’s: Songs You Need to Listen to At Least Once

Written By Izzy Eccles

Until this time last year, I conformed to the traditional method of listening to the latest top 40 hits. Did this music make me happy? Of course not. The sounds were clearly artificial and came from a computer screen rather than from the real instrument.
I went for years of torture, trying to fit in. Then I realised, I didn’t need to. That was when discovered the one and only Whitney Houston. Her voice sent shivers down my spine, her lyrics were lyrically words of genius. Finally, I had found a genre of music that made me want to listen.


Come On Eileen- Dexy’s Midnight Runners (1982)


This is a terrific dance tune, however, I wouldn’t recommend of singing along loudly unless you’ve googled the lyrics (which I have, because I am extremely sad). The amazing beat makes for a true 80’s classic that should be played and appreciated more.









Eye Of The Tiger- Survivor (1982)

This is definitely the most well know song on this list. This song helps to get you off your feet, and get active. I couldn’t do an 80s song count down without including this tune. This song is also
better than all 21st century rock combined, this song is the definition of rock music.  






The Whole Of The Moon- The Waterboys (1985)

This song was originally released in the 80’s, however it became more popular in the 90’s. Although, I still class this classic dance tune as a true 80s hit. The reason I recommend this one so much is down to the deep metaphorical meaning of the lyrics and, frankly, the amazing beat.








Wake Me Up Before You Go Go- Wham! (1984)

Finally, we have arrived at my favourite 80s song. Yes, the song is as cheesy as hell, but that’s why I love it so much. Although, this song has been covered by a great many artists, no song will ever come close to the original. Out of all the amazing songs on this list, this is definitely a must listen to track and it’s the one that I recommend the most, however, don’t take my word for it. Listen to them for yourself and discover some timeless classics.










No comments:

Post a Comment