Sunday 1 May 2016

Life In Stereo

Oh, we’ve had some fun times you and me… Do you remember? How we met? Ah, cliché to say but it felt like it was yesterday… You flung your arms wide and wrapped them around me, holding me tight in that sweet welcoming embrace.


“Welcome home!” you cried. In releasing me I went weak, a little buzz of excitement sparking inside me as though I’d foresaw our lives together. I could tell from the start the feelings were mutual. Your eyes worshipped me with every glance and gaze. You’d catch yourself staring at me and blush. The utter embarrassment, the absurdity… You and me? How silly. People would make fun of you – but 
that didn’t keep you away.

You bided your time, waited your turn, watching others fail where you knew you’d thrive. You knew what you were doing, of course. You’d done your research and you knew what you wanted. You were ready.

The first time you got me alone you pushed my buttons and explored my vast array of capabilities. I was like nothing you’d ever seen or experienced before. Far more interesting and advanced than any other – I had more to offer. You helped me to unlock my potential. After that day, you competed to spend more and more time with me, but who could blame you? Come rain or shine, snow or sleet – we went on regardless.

Those long days lounging around watching daytime television. It was crap, absolute crap we watched! But we loved it nonetheless because it meant more time spent together. The late-night movie marathons, the endless sitcoms… drama, comedy, sci-fi, and action, even a horror (if we were up to it). Hours upon hours we were happy, just the two of us, wrapped up in our little world. Our unpenetrated sphere of solitude sitting in a shadowy room, the only sound to be heard was the murmurs between us.

And then she came along. That… thing. Strutting into our lives when we didn’t even need her. We were happy. We were content. We had everything we wanted, we had no need for anyone else. Just each other… Right? Or did we?

I’m sorry I got fuzzy and lost it a bit – I couldn’t help it! We’d spent so long together that I forgot how to act. I guess, I must have got boring. I couldn’t do the things you wanted me to anymore, and that’s my fault. We tried all the add-ons and extras we could get, and still didn’t work. I can’t get mad at you – we should have seen this coming. I have to let go of you…

How could an old analogue television like me compete with a smart TV like her?


The only Amazon I could show you is on the Discovery channel! Anyway, maybe it’s for the best? I wouldn’t even know what a ‘Netflix’ is…

Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment